Aren’t you tired of literally every article mentioning the list of same old “Best Steam skins” that haven’t been updated in 2-3 years? The obvious one being Metro for Steam and Air for Steam.
Don’t get me wrong – they are good skins, but are definitely dated by 2022’s standards since the official development was discontinued by the developers. Steam has received plenty of updates over the years, so those skins do have bugs. Metro does have unofficial patches from community members to iron out those bugs, but the design still remains the same.
In this article, I’ll introduce you to a modern Steam skin made in 2022, inspired by Windows 11 design principles – Fluent for Steam. This skin does take the base code of Metro for Steam, although they look completely different.
This is a simple skin which turns the old steam design into a completely renewed one, this skin is inspired by the Microsoft Store Fluent Design template launched with Windows 11.–opurojogo, Fluent for Steam developer
Why Fluent for Steam?
- Modern Design inspired by Windows 11
- Open Source & Free (available in GitHub)
- Complete UI overhaul for most of the Steam elements
- Developer actively listening to the community feedback and ironing out bugs
- Multiple variants to choose from – (love the compact mode personally)
- Light mode coming soon
The developer has been actively responding to the users’ feedback and has already ironed out many existing bugs. There are some exciting new features coming soon including the EXE installer setup, light mode etc. You can be a part of the community and follow the progress of the skin on their Discord server.
How to Install the Steam skin?
Installing any Steam skin is not a difficult task. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Download and install Segoe UI Variable font (if on Windows 10 or lower)
- Have Windows installed (tried and tested on Windows only, so might not work for Linux and Mac users)
- Download the Latest Fluent for Steam skin on GitHub.
- Go to the Steam.exe directory (by default C:\Program Files\Steam) and create a folder called skins (if it doesn’t exist already).
- Drop the entire FluentForSteam0.4.4 folder into the Skins folder
- Now open Steam, head over to Settings and then select Interface. Select “FluentForSteam0.4.4” from the dropdown menu.
- Optional: You can also install the compact version and other extra features to tweak the UI. Instructions to install them are mentioned within the Options++ folder in a GIF file.
- Save and restart Steam
Download Fluent for Steam
NOTE: The skin is completely FREE, so if you like it, do consider supporting the developer by becoming a Patreon. You also get additional benefits like early access to the updates and follow skin’s development.
Let me know your thoughts about what I feel is the best Steam Skin 2022. I haven’t encountered any major bugs so far even though the skin is in alpha stages, so that’s a very good sign for its development.